NEW STATE IMPOSED KINDERGARTEN AGE REQUIREMENT - Children must turn 5 years old on or before September 1, 2018.  September 1st is now the permanent birthday cut-off for kindergarten.



A Transitional Kindergarten (TK) program is available for resident students who will turn 5 years old between September 2, 2017 and December 2nd, 2018.  TK is basically a two year kindergarten program.  For the 2018-2019 school year however, the transitional kindergarten students from Franklin will attend Glenfeliz Elementary School.  TK enrollment forms are available from the Franklin Elementary School office only.  Completed forms are to be returned to Franklin Elementary with the required documentation.  Forms and documentation will be reviewed by the office staff, at which time parents will be directed to submit the the completed and reviewed enrollment packet to Glenfeliz Elementary. Parents should contact Frankliln Avenue Elementary at (323) 663-0320 if more information is needed regarding the TK program.

Applications for enrollment in grades Kindergarten through 5, are available online OR in the school office between the hours of 7:30 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. New families who reside within our attendance area may enroll at any time during the school year.  Registration for the fall semester will start on March 1st each year. The school office will be closed from June 25, 2018 through July 25, 2018.  Registration will resume on July 25, 2018.  Applications must  be turned into the school office in person.  No online submission is available.  Applications will be processed and accepted once all of the requirements listed below are submitted.  Printable list of enrollment requirements available.

The following information is needed to register: 

  • Completed Enrollment form
  • Completed Health History  - to be completed by parent
  • Completed Student Emergency form
  • Legal proof of birth: Must bring one of the following: birth certificate, hospital birth certificate, passport or baptismal certificate (originals)
  • Verification of address: All documentation must be current and must identify the parent or legal guardian and show the current date, as well as residential address.  Acceptable forms of address verification, include: DWP (electric and/or water) OR Gas Company Bill. In the event that your utilities are included in your rent, you must provide  two forms of "official mail" that you receive showing the parent's name and current address, in lieu of a utility bill.  (Phone bills, credit card bills, and Identification are not acceptable forms of address verification)

Original Record of Immunizations must be current for the following and indicate the month/date/year administered:

  • Polio: 4 doses
  • DPT: 5 doses
  • Hepatitis B: 3 doses 
  • MMR: 2
  • Varicella (chicken pox) - Required for Kindergarten entry only

The following forms are not required upon registration, but are due when the examination/ assessment are completed.


School Boundaries


School for Advances Studies - Permits

Permits are issued only on a space-available basis, with priority given to students who qualify for SAS (School for Advanced Studies) during the annual application period.  Parents must provide the required documention for the applicable permit for which they are applying. Intra-district permits include Child Care Permits, Parent Employment Permits and Continuing permits.  Intra-district permits must be renewed annually and are contingent upon space availability each year. In order to qualify for enrollment in SAS, as student must meet rigorous qualifications. Please see our SAS section for more information.